Friday 11 February 2011

Rembrandt's House

A few years ago we visited Rembrandt's house and to be quite honest, we came away a little disappointed. So it wasn't on our list of places for a return visit but we noticed, on wandering about the city, that there were posters up advertising Caravaggio at Rembrandt's house. Caravaggio is a cracking painter (so is Rembrandt of course) so we decided to give it another go. Rembrandt's house once again didn't fail to disappoint as the Caravaggio exhibition consisted of 1 painting but perhaps our lack of Dutch meant that we didn't pick this fact out of the poster.

Having said that they do have quite a few old masters on view and an  excellent collection of Rembrandt's etchings and then on the way out we passed another room with a most enjoyable collection of prints by Anneke Kuyper (which I'm going to cover in a later blog). And just to help matters along, they let you take pictures so by the end of it, I was quite glad I went in after all.

Without further ado, here's the Caravaggio. It is St John the Baptist Reclining and has been called the last Caravaggio. It is certainly one of his last paintings and is in a private collection, so whether it will be available to be seen anywhere after it's visit to Amsterdam, I do not know. It finishes it's stint here at Rembrandt's house the day after tomorrow. I've followed this with a small selection of Rembrandt's own etchings.








7 comments:

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

I like those etchings. Thanks for showing them.

Shundo said...

Beautiful etchings, I wouldn't get tired of looking at those. Could you say a little more about what is disappointing about the house?

Unknown said...

A most enjoyable tour, Sandy! Takes me back to my high school art course which I originally signed up for to get easy credits but ended up enjoying immensely!

Sandy's witterings said...

Thanks chaps.

Trying to put you finger on the disappointment of the house is quite difficult. I had a look at some other reviews and many people really liked it and others felt much like me. A couple of rooms have been recreated as they would have been in Rembrandt's day and the bedroom quite successfully I would say but the studio seemed as if they had done the minimum to call it a recreation. The paintings they have seem a little packed into a couple of small rooms but the room which tipped the balance for me was what effectively amounted to a storeroom with shelves of ancient statue parts and other items of the sort that Rembrandt might have used - some looked quite interesting but there was no labelling and a big plastic screen which meant that you couldn't really get all that close for a look - it was as if theyed chucked it all in there and though, "Oh that'll do". On the plus side the prints are really well displayed and the little extra and probably temporary Kuyper display made it worth while for me. It's probably worth the 10 euros to see the prints and the paintings once but you're likely to come away thinking that that 10 euros could have bought your lunch.

The Glebe Blog said...

They're not Banksy are they Sandy.
I don't know much about art,but I remember a docu/drama about Caravaggio and his tumultuous life and mysterious death.It's a fact that most geniuses (is that right or should it be genii) dont reach old age.
Interesting post.

Crafty Green Poet said...

nice selection of etchings, sorry you were disappointed by the house, I've never been there myself...

Sandy's witterings said...

They're certainly not Banksy Jim, Caravaggio would be hard pushed to pop one of his on a wall over night and be gone before the police turned up (I'd be impressed mind)

Strangely Juliet, for a place I was unimpressed by, I squashed two blogs out of it - more etchings on the way.