Friday 5 November 2010

The downs and ups of the Boatford bridge

While I was on my flying visit to Langholm a couple of weeks ago, I took the following picture of the suspension bridge, which I have since discovered is called the Boatford bridge - I have never heard anyone refer to it as such though.


 It looks nice and peaceful in the above picture as it did during all the time I lived in the town but under rainy condition the local rivers can rise alarmingly and in 1904 it was struck by a tree or a substantial log and it put a fairly severe bend in it.

The main story connected to this bridge dates back to the day it was opened in 1871. It seems that the designers somewhat underestimated the effect of 200 people walking on it and down it came. Being opening day there was a camera handy and the event was captured in the picture below. The bridge was eventually rebuilt in 1873 and has stayed up since.


My thanks to the Langholm Archive for the permission to use some photos from their rather impressive collection of old local photographs which can be found at www.langholmarchive.com and you may also be interested in visiting the blog of Mr Tootlepeddle, who helps maintain the archive, at http://tootlepedal.wordpress.com/

10 comments:

Michael (Light-In-A-Box) said...

Hey Sandy, how's it goin? Gotta love those old bridges, & the old photographs are really quite interesting too. Good job on your research for your topics! You just might make Blogger person of the year!
Michael

Zia Wolf-Sun said...

It does look nice and peaceful! Unusual to say that about the here and now compared to yesteryear tho it looks to have been a very dangerous bridge to cross then from your photos!It certainly had its "downs and ups!!"

Catherine Mary said...

I've been away myself for almost four months with illness...but back up to scratch now...couldn't use my computer much in that timeframe...came back to find everything turned upsidedown and friends blown far and wide on other blog sites! I'm glad I found you and could get into your new site as some let me in but my comments don't save, and others seem not to want me in, even with permissions verified...very trying! I found your quick blog on the Boatford Bridge and pics with it very amusing...it's good to see you again, Sandy

Dave Wenning said...

Sandy, we have also had our "bridge issues:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu4LPTsy_xY

Unknown said...

I remember seeing a segment on TV about a suspension bridge somewhere in the western US that collapsed due to high winds shortly after it was completed, taking several cars and trucks along with it when it fell into the river below. I've never trusted a suspension bridge since. If I ever come to another I'll have Frankie fire up her broom and fly us across.

WHANG!OW!!! Why didn't you tell me she was reading over my shoulder and had a skillet in her hands?

Sandy's witterings said...

Michael, Gosh thanks. A little research is easy with the internet and I'm as interested to find out as anyone else. I've a big pile of books - I occasionally look things up in them (Kids, ask Mum or Dad about books)

Wolfie, Langholm is rather heavy with yesteryear.

Catherine Mary, not so good you've not been well - hope things are better now. There was a bit of turmoil over at windows live spaces - you might find a few of the old bloggers here or at Wordpress - maybe even connected to this blog or to Rocket Man's (2 comments down)

Dave - Good grief!! in fact Good grief again!!

Chip, would that be the clip that Dave's just put the link up of in the previous comment. You really should wear a helmet.

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh gosh, it's interesting to read about the history of the bridge, wouldn't have wanted to be one of the first 200 over it though!

Sandy's witterings said...

Thank you Laoch and Juliet for your comments

Anonymous said...

Well... I guess i shouldn't laugh, as it couldn't have been very nice at all, having a bridge collapse under your feet... but viewing the photo did bring forth a giggle or two. I guess i better avoid crossing bridges for a while, incase i get my come-uppance..!!!

Sandy's witterings said...

It's not the come-uppance you need to worry about Poppy, it's the come-downance.